The bus industry of India witnessed a 5% decline for the month of July 2013 at 26,628 units sold againt 27,935 units sold for July 2012. The sales for LCV segment (GVW upto 7.5t), in July 2013 were 14,055 units against 14,338 units recording a decrease of 2%. The M&HCV (GVW >7,5t) bus sales for July 2013 were 12,573 units against 13,597 units in July 2012 registering a decline of 8%.
M&HCV Bus Segment (GVW >7.5t)
- Ashok Leyland positive growth in M&HCV segment Bus sales for July 2013 at 1947 units as against 1622 units in July 2012.
- Tata Motors saw a dip in sales by 23% for July 2013 at 1367 units as against 1771 units in July 2012.
- VECV’s Eicher brand trucks are the worst hit in this segment as their sales are down massively at 49% as they were only able to sell 274 units in July 2013 against 538 units in July 2012.
- Mahindra Trucks and Buses registered good growth in M&HCV segment with sales numbers of 117 units as against 71 units for July 2012.
- SML Isuzu sales stood at 334 units for July 2013 as against 324 units in July 2012 recording a 3% increase.
Market leaders Ashok Leyland is gained some points clear of Tata Motors now possess 48% market share in M&HCV segment, while Tata Motor’s segment share drop to 34%. The decline insales had hit Eicher with a drop in share and is now down to 7% in July 2013, which was 12% during the same month of previous year.
LCV Bus Segment (upto 7.5t)
- The LCV segment witness Tata Motors sales decline by 27% during July 2013 at 1733 units as opposed to 2383 units in July 2012.
- Force Motors had also suffered decrease in sales of 13% at 1405 units in July 2013 as against 1623 units in July 2012
- .SML Isuzu is the only manufacturer who saw a positive growth in July 2013 by selling 270 units as against 235 in July 2012 accounting for 15% growth.
Themonth of July 2013 had witnessed considerable dip in market share of Tata Motors at 40% as against July 2012 where they had 55% share. Force Motors had also underwent decrease in market share at 32% for July 2013 sales as against 38% during July 2012.
Source – ACG, SIAM