The Indian bus market recorded a decline of 9% in the sales for the first half of FY 2013-14 with 47,294 units sold against 52,139 units sold during the same period in FY 2012-13.
The medium and heavy bus segment (GVW >7,5t) sold 22,791 units for the period April to September of FY 2013-14 against 25,626 units in same period of previous fiscal registering 8% de-growth. The sales of LCV (GVW upto 7.5t) busses added up to 24,503 units in HY1 FY 2013-14, 8% less in comparison with 26,513 units sold for the same period in FY2012-13.
The share of M&HCV stood at 48% whereas LCV contributes 52% of total sales.
M&HCV Bus Segment (GVW >7.5t)
- Ashok Leyland registered negative growth of 3% in HY1 FY2013-14 at 9,461 units as against 9,746 units sold in HY1 FY2012-13.
- Tata Motor’s sales decreased by 18% for HY1 FY2013-14 at 8,240 units as against 9,992 units in HY1 FY2012-13.
- VECV’s Eicher brand buses witnessed their sales drop by 9% at 2,306 buses sold in HY1 FY2013-14 against 2,530 units in HY1 FY2012-13.
- Volvo buses suffered steep fall of 61% reduction in their sales as 150 units sold in HY1 FY 2013-14 against 651 units for HY1 FY 2012-13.
Despite fall in sales Ashok Leyland hold the pole position and saw increase in their market share as it raise to 42% in HY1 FY2013-14 from 38% in HY1 FY2012-13. Tata Motor’s market share fell to 36% in HY1 FY2013-14 from 39% in HY1 FY2012-13.
LCV Bus Segment (up to 7.5t)
- Tata Motors sales decline by 16% during HY1 FY2013-14 at 9,946 units as against 11,881 units in HY1 FY2012-13.
- Force Motors Traveler sales decreased by 6% at 8,112 units in HY1 FY2013-14 as against 8,655 units in HY1 FY2012-13.
- Eicher posts 12% growth in LCV segment as they sold 2,883 units in HY1 FY2013-14 against 2,579 units in HY1 FY2012-13.
- SML Isuzu also registered positive growth of 55% in HY1 FY2013-14 by selling 1,767 units as against 1,138 units in HY1 FY2012-13.
Tata Motors’ market share in HY1 FY2013-14 dropped to 41% from 45% during HY1 FY2012-13. Eicher saw their market share increased to 12% in HY1 FY 2013-14 from 10% in HY1 FY2012-13.
Source – Autobei, SIAM.