The total sales of passenger vehicles in India saw a 5% decrease in the month of HY1 FY 2013-14 with 1,205,567 units sold against 1,269,979 units sold during the same month of previous year.
Total sales for car segment stood at 860,093 units in HY1 FY 2013-14 as against 901,409 units in HY1 FY 2012-13, registering 5% de-growth. Sales of Utility passenger vehicles stood at 243,640 units in HY1 FY 2013-14, registered 5% decline when compared against HY1 FY 2012-13 sales of 255,674 units. Van sales declined by 10% in HY1 FY 2013-14 at 101,834 units as against 112,896 units in HY1 FY 2012-13.
The segment share contribution remained stagnant for HY1 FY 2013-14 against same period of previous financial year. The total contribution of car segment accounts for 71%, while 20% is contributed by Utility segment. Van segment gained 1 point in HY1 FY 2012-13 and poised their share at 9% against 8% during HY1 FY 2012-13.
Brand-wise Sales Overview
- Maruti Suzuki, the market leaders registered 3% growth in HY1 FY 2013-14 with 486,908 cars sold against 473,218 cars sold in HY1 FY 2012-13.
- Biggest winner this term is Renault who posted 133% growth for HY1 FY 2013-14 with 30,939 units sold against 13,273 units during HY1 FY 2012-13. Their counterpart Nissan performs miserable as their sales went down by 43%.
- Backed by good response for Amaze, Honda post 68% growth with 59,617 units sold in HY1 FY 2013-14 against 35,440 units during HY1 FY 2012-13.
- The premium car makers Audi post 15% growth while VW sales declined by 5%.
- Trademark Indian manufacturer's Tata Motors’ sales crumbled by 35% while Mahindra and Mahindra witnessed a reduction of 13% in sales
Market leader Maruti Suzuki’s share increased to 40% in HY1 FY 2013-14 from 37% in HY1 FY 2012-13. Tata Motors are the most affected OEM as their share got minimized to 9% in HY1 FY 2013-14 from 13% in HY1 FY 2012-13.
- Maruti finished the first half of FY 2013-14 with 11% growth in car sales with 413,537 units in HY1 FY 2013-14 against 373,686 units in HY1 FY 2012-13.
- Tata Motor’s sales drop by 48% while Ford sales fall by the same. Skoda lay in misery as their sales fall by 41% whereas GM got their sales cut down by 15.
- Renault post 29% growth in car sales which they will look to build upon in coming months.
- Mahindra had witnessed the sales of utility vehicles decline by 14% for HY1 FY 2013-14 at 104,357 units against 121,367 units in HY1 FY 2012-13. This is a clear evidence of new wave ripples created by foreign OEM’s like Ford and Renault are clearly taking on the market.
- Maruti Suzuki’s figure in this segment is not encouraging as they registered 35% drop while Tata Motor’s state in overall passenger segment is exposed by a 48% decline in sales.
Mahindra leads the segment with 43% for HY1 FY 2013-14, but got reduced from 47% in HY1 FY 2012-13. Renault holds 10% share in this segment while Ford captured 8% market share.
- In Van segment Maruti sales fall by 21% for HY1 FY 2013-14 at 46,967 units sold against 59,166 units in HY1 FY 2012-13.
- Tata Motors registers 5% growth while Mahindra vans post 4% decline for HY1 FY 2013-14 sales in comparison with HY1 FY 2012-13.
Company – SIAM, ACG